Never Go Alone

Christianity in Mormon Country. It isn't easy, but you're not in it alone.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Idle Hands, Hard Work and Happiness

They say that idle hands are the devil's workshop. My hands are idle a lot. I hardly think that they are doing the devil's work, though. Mostly they just read and do this. I suppose the devil could have some desire to keep me from doing my chores, which is what I should be doing. Possibly that could make reading and blogging the devil's work, but that would be a stretch.

On the other hand, there's my job. Most of the people that I work with have never heard that a person is supposed to live a quiet life and work with their hands. Mostly people just stand around and gossip. I prefer to stay busy. Unlike when I am at home and I can't seem to find anything worthwhile to do (although, some would say that reading is worthwhile), when I'm at work I work very hard. People tell me that they are impressed, but that isn't why I do it. I just do it because standing around not doing anything is boring. If I could read a book at work, I might do that instead of working so hard.

I wasn't always like this. I used to be as lazy at work as I am at home. It was sometime between working at the boarding school and when I started back to school (Jan. 2005) when I decided that anything worth doing is worth doing well. I became an amazing student (4.0 GPA since starting back to school) and a star employee. I think it's because I didn't want to let anybody down. Probably I still have in a million different ways, but at least I'm trying this time.

On a different subject, I'm told that at my sister's wedding a few weeks ago I was noticeably happier than my family remembered me being in the past. It just goes to show that real change does come from giving your life over to Jesus. That's the only explanation. Well, besides the one that goes like this: my sister was getting married and I was happy for her. Both I think are acceptable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home