Never Go Alone

Christianity in Mormon Country. It isn't easy, but you're not in it alone.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Strength for Today and Bright Hope for Tomorrow

My intial conversion to Christianity was marked by huge, unrealistic promises that I made to God. I will read my Bible every day. I will spend x amount of time in prayer every day. I will never sin again. Etc. Because they were unrealistic demands that I was making of myself, I inevitably failed. I would then turn on myself, because that's what I do best, and call myself a bad Christian, a bad person, a bad wife, etc. I would then recover from my broken promises, only to make more promises that I would then proceed to break. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm calling yesterday my "second conversion." I can't really explain what was different about what happened to me yesterday in comparison with other times that I have strayed and then returned. I do know the difference, it's just hard to put into words. You see, it happened quite suddenly, without any advance notice. No warning, whatsoever. I was in church and we were singing, I don't even remember the song, but I know it was totally unrelated to the thought that came into my head, which is the one that I wrote about yesterday. I was totally convicted by the Holy Spirit in a way that I haven't really experienced before. It was like my entire life up to that point had been a dream and I was only just awakening unto reality. Everything became so clear. I suddenly got this strong urge to do more for my God, more for His Kingdom. It was like nothing else mattered anymore, as long as I could be close to Him. The sermon that followed oddly echoed the feeling that I was having about doing more for Him. I saw the insignificance of the things that I had been making a priority in my life. I saw things from a totally different perspective.

I mean, really, I saw everything in my life differently. I saw all of the ways that I wasn't being a helper to my husband, but, instead of getting depressed and beating myself up (my usual reaction), I looked for things in my life that I could change to help him more. I saw the importance of meeting his needs and measured that against the things keeping me from doing so and I saw that those other things didn't stack up. I saw opportunities to serve my God where before I had only seen opportunities to participate in something. I saw light where there had previously been darkness.

The most significant difference between this time and all the others is my lack of promises. I will try to do all of those things that I have promised God so many times before that I would do. I won't lie to Him, though, and tell Him that I'll never fail, that I'll do something every day, that I'll stay strong. I'm relying on Him more today than I ever have to simply provide me with whatever I need to make it through today. I don't need to know what is going to happen tomorrow. Today has enough worry of its own.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog for the first time (from Sarah Lewis' link). Never had the chance to know you all that well, but enjoyed learning a bit more about you today through your writings. Said a prayer for you. Wondering where you are at with regard to your "second conversion". How are you doing with things like being a better helper to Paul, etc.? I find myself having to constantly realign myself with who I know I should be. Makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one struggling with that (although intellectually i know we all struggle, we just don't all admit it).

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home