Never Go Alone

Christianity in Mormon Country. It isn't easy, but you're not in it alone.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

You Are Not Alone

Well, it's been some time (a week, I think) since I wrote anything here. That might be because nothing really exciting happened. Well, that's not true, just nothing that I've felt the urge to write about. Anyway, a few things have happened that I thought I'd share.

Last weekend was Memorial Day and my husband, seven of our friends, two dogs, and I went backpacking. I am really, really not in backpacking shape, so I was pretty sore for about four days afterward, but I had a really great time. In fact, I had quite a unique backpacking experience. You see, hmm how do I put this? I'm really slow, at least on the uphill, and usually that makes for a pretty miserable time for me.

It used to go something like this: I'm the last one in line and I'm waaaay back. Everybody feels like they have to wait for me and I want them to because I don't enjoy being alone, so I'm miserable. I resent them for not waiting for me and I'm in a lot of pain because, rather than be alone, I will push myself beyond what I am capable of so that I am completely exhausted, usually about a half mile before we get to our destination.

My new philosophy is a little different and a lot more enjoyable. You see, instead of being miserable because I was alone, I enjoyed my alone time. I talked with God, sang to God, stopped and looked at the flowers and the trees. I went at my own pace and loved it. I won't get into the things that didn't go exactly as planned on this little one night trip (time was a factor, as well as snow), but let's just say that I wasn't the only one who wasn't in backpacking shape (my dog couldn't walk without hobbling for several days).

Other than that, work was work. My co-workers are pretty irritating because they bicker like children all day long, but I try not to get involved. I did tell one of them that I found it incredibly irritating that he was late everyday, but that was because I didn't want to be complaining about it behind his back. If he knows that I disapprove then at least it isn't a secret that it's not okay. [Incidentally, the day after I told him that he was ten minutes early.]

Yesterday was my five year anniversary. It's amazing how much can change in five years. But I'll tell you what hasn't changed, I still love my husband very much and enjoy spending time with him. We had quite an adventure yesterday. We stopped at the Hole in Brigham City for doughnuts on the way down to SLC where we had lunch at the Red Iguana (delicious). We then went down to Sandy where the running store that my husband runs for is, and he picked up a Garmin GPS, which he is so excited about using I can't stand it. Then we went back up to SLC to get massages (wonderful), walk around the Gateway (boring), watch an IMAX movie about dinosaurs (I love dinosaurs, it was awesome), and have dinner at Biaggi's (also delicious). After that we headed out of SLC and went to Crystal Hot Springs, which is just outside of Honeyville, UT (the water is very salty/kind of nasty) and then home with enough time to watch a Netflix movie. A great time was had by all.

And now it's Saturday. Thus far I have slept in, eaten breakfast, bought groceries, gone to the Gardener's Market, gone to Macey's for $1.00 bratwurst, and done some reading. It's a typical Logan Saturday and I couldn't be happier. You know, now that I'm feeling better, I don't feel this urgent need to get out of here and closer to my family. Not that I don't want to be closer to my family, because I do, I just don't need to. I'm content for maybe the first time in my life and that's definitely worth something. I can't wait to see what the future holds, but I'm happy right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home