Never Go Alone

Christianity in Mormon Country. It isn't easy, but you're not in it alone.

Monday, August 21, 2006

My Worship and Fighting Depression

Lately I haven't been that enthusiastic about worshipping God in certain ways. I find it easy to worship God through my work, through conversations with others about God, through singing to Him. I'm just not very excited about reading my Bible. That's pretty much it. I've never been that great about praying, but I pray more now than I used to. I just don't have a specific set aside time that I sit down and pray. It's more like something I do throughout the day or if I wake up in the middle of the night. Reading my Bible just doesn't happen right now. It's old news. I've read it before and, while I like to reread the same things, I don't do it multiple times in a row. I revisit old things that I've read, but I read new things in between. Anyway, I'm thinking maybe I need to try a new translation or something. I just need something to make it different. Another thing that could affect my ability to read my Bible is that I find it hard to focus on one subject for extended periods of time. That's why my posts here always have multiple subjects. Speaking of that...

My husband thinks I put myself down too much. That could be true, but I've definitely gotten better about it since we've been married. I think that mostly right now I tend to point out negative things about myself only when they are true and I think that I should change. I used to suffer a lot from depression, but a combination of things have changed that recently. One thing is that I am more content with my life (see previous posts on contentment) and another is that I've been taking St. John's Wort recently and I really don't think I've had a major breakdown since I started taking it. Could be a placebo, but St. John's Wort has been proven effective with mild to moderate depression, which is where I fall. Anyway, I don't always feel good about myself, but I haven't had a crying fit in a while, which is an improvement. I've battled depression my whole life and I can honestly say that right now I feel better about things than I ever have at any other point in my life (at least any other point in my life that I can remember). [Incidentally, I tend to be the kind of person who thinks that if things are going well for too long then something bad will happen and bring my life back into balance. I can't be happy indefinitely. I don't really feel like that right now, though, so maybe I'm really overcoming all of the emotional ties that bind me.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home