Never Go Alone

Christianity in Mormon Country. It isn't easy, but you're not in it alone.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

God-breathed

I just read my Bible for the first time in--I don't know--a long time. I don't want to admit it, but I often look for feelings associated with my "God time." I want to have an "experience." I know it isn't right, but it's true. I also read my two devotional books (daily devotions that are about two paragraphs each) and was convicted by this passage:
Have you been trying to work up some emotional feeling? If you lack "it," have you felt you didn't have the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth, which means He always works according to and through the Word of God whether you feel Him or not. Have you been seeking some ecstatic experience, thinking that would be the Holy Spirit? Remember tha tHe never acts independently; He always works through the Truth--the living Word of God, Who is Jesus, and the written Word of God, which is your Bible. (Lotz, Anne Graham. (2004). Joy of My Heart: Meditating Daily on God's Word. Nashville: Thomas Nelson. p. 263.)
I think the Holy Spirit works in more ways than just through my Bible, but I have to admit that I don't put the emphasis on the written Word of God that I should. I'm going to try to put more effort into my personal relationship with God again. [Side note: I'm kind of a spiritual roller coaster. At times I am really close to God and devote a lot of time to reading His Word and praying and reading books. Other times, though, I don't pick up my Bible for months on end. I wish I could be more consistent.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home